Sunday, July 20, 2014

Tea for Two: Traditional Afternoon Tea

By: Amanda Roley


LONDON--I came to London with a mission to enjoy traditional afternoon tea--and bring home tons of it. 

Monica and I stumbled upon a tea room just across the street from Harrod's shopping mall in Knightsbridge. 

The Richoux tearoom was the epitome of elegant.

As you enter, you're greeted by sweet and colorful treats. I was instantly mesmerized by the cheesecake covered in strawberries, macaroons, and white chocolate and dark chocolate pudding. So many choices!


We sat down under a twinkling chandelier that hung from the sky painted ceiling. Next to us on the wall, a picture of an amused and calm looking women peered at Monica and I as though she was welcoming us to our first tearoom experience.


Traditional english tea served at the Richoux is called Richoux breakfast blend. It's a strong black tea that typically pairs with milk and sugar. How much sugar and milk all depends on your preference Richoux Supervisor Enver Hodolli said.

"Me, I prefer black and strong," Hodolli said.

The tradition of afternoon tea came from the aristocrats because they could afford to enjoy fine tea and tasty treats everyday Hodolli said. 
The Richoux's afternoon "tea for two" is served with two tea pots, two cakes, four scones with creme, two strawberries, and two slices of fruit cake. 


Hodolli has worked at Richoux for 12 years, and he said his favorite part of afternoon tea is the scones.

"I really like the raisin scones," Holdolli said. "I'll eat those with a lot of creme on the side."

Continuing with the "tea for two" theme developing here, Hodolli said the Richoux offers their afternoon tea starting at 2 p.m. 

"Afternoon tea is good because it's light and wakes you up," Hodolli said. 

After letting the tea steep for a bit, I sipped at the hot blend before adding any milk or sugar to try it's original taste first. In fact, my inherent love for tea was blown away at how great it tasted. It was strong and most importantly didn't have a bitter aftertaste, which is what a lot of teas sold in the U.S. taste like.

I was hooked! Cup after cup, I just couldn't get enough of the tea I waited so long to enjoy here in London.

My mission was complete, and even have the tin of tea to show for it.  Now my next step is to find a traditional English tea cup and saucer to drink my authentic afternoon tea from.








No comments:

Post a Comment