Wednesday, July 16, 2014

My City Sanctuary

By Brittany Cardoza

LONDON - When I saw it from across the street I knew I had to take a stroll inside. It was expansive and lush. It had just the right amount of activity. It sprawled among the chaos of the tourist infested attractions. It was St. James Park.

Though parks can be found all over the city of London, this one stood out to me. Like a new chic restaurant brings joy to a food critic, a city park is my addiction. I find them in every city I go to and make a point to spend time enjoying them. They are the little sliver of home that I can find in every metropolis I land in. Though, the addiction is recent.

It was not until after college graduation and moving to New York City that I realized how much I had taken my childhood home for granted. In the suburban community I grew up in there was an abundance of green space to play. We had a grassy backyard with mature trees that provided just the right amount of shade to endure hot summer days. It was the place I spent my summers. Running through the sprinkler by day and bar-b-queing by night. I worked on my soccer skills, helped my brother learn to hit a wiffle ball and raised a puppy in this backyard. My outdoor space was not limited to this fenced backyard though. I just had to step outside the front door to take advantage of horse pastures, running trails and lakes. I never realized how much I loved spending time in the grace of nature until I realized it was a gift that not everyone took advantage of.

I found myself in New York City looking out my window on the fifteenth floor wondering where I would lay in the sun, run or kick around a soccer ball. Shortly after my withdrawal symptoms became unbearable I decided to make Central Park my new backyard. I spent my nights after work running around the roads in the park. On the weekends I brought my book and read under a tree. It was noisy and crowded but there was green space which felt like home.

I am now in another major city and knew that beyond the amazing sites and experiences I would be having I would need to find my outdoor place of peace. I wondered what would take the place of Central Park here in London and I found it at St. James.

St. James Park is the oldest of the 8 royal parks of London. What was once farmland where pigs grazed is now a beautifully manicured place of gathering for locals and tourists. Outside of the park are notable landmarks including Buckingham Palace and Westminster. Inside of the park homes picnics, exercise and more. The parks beauty is breathtaking and unique but provides just the right amount of charm and comfort to feel like I could make this city my home.







No comments:

Post a Comment