Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Starting the day off right





By Colin Pearson 

LONDON -- Before we started the journey into the city to sight-see, I took a jog around Russel Square Gardens to start my day off while waiting for the Gardens Cafe to open. I noticed this hidden gem the day we got to our hotel, and made certain that I would start the day off right by having a cup of coffee each morning before the program started. At this early hour the park is mostly empty, some joggers have their regular morning run, and a few others are trotting through while heading to work. Overall the park is quiet, before the swarm during the daytime, which usually crowds over most of the grass in the park. The sheer number of people tells me that inner city parks are a common gathering place or pass-time in this city, as hundreds choose to workout, eat, or just socialize everyday. What could be better than having a cafe in the middle of this environment? Coffee in the morning, ice cream or lunch during the day; who can't resist the temptations this park has to offer? I had a conversation with the cafe owner, and he agreed that the sight of the park in the morning is unparalleled to that of the daytime. It seemed clear he enjoys getting up to the site of an empty park when preparing for a busy day, as he smiled while explaining to me the positive aspects that surround his business. When conversing with the employees I noticed how friendly the atmosphere was, and their pricing is great, so the large amount of numbers truly shows that this business thrives in the center of Russel Square Gardens. Sitting at one of the tables and looking around at the trees was peaceful; as it put my mind to ease before a hectic day of walking around central London.



No comments:

Post a Comment