Friday, July 18, 2014

Not Just a Pile of Rocks














By, Monica Hernandez

AMESBURY -- I am not the type of person who fancies historical sights or tours. I am more attracted to locations featured in movies, such as venues at which Harry Potter scenes were filmed. Naturally, I believed that visiting Stonehenge would be a bore, but once I visited and learned the history, I was quickly intrigued.

Stonehenge is an important piece of British history. The prehistoric temple is made of large stones raised and arranged in a way that look like doorways. With today's technology, this layout can easily be created using a crane and wrecking ball. However, this technology was not available 4,500 years ago. How were the stones raised? And what significance did it have on the people of the era?

After listening to the audio tour, I learned that Stonehenge was used for religious ceremonies and celebration by the Druids. My curiosity lead me to ask what these events might entail. Elizabeth Blank Hindman, one of the professors leading the trip, visited Stonehenge at the age of 17. She recalled that at the time of her visit she was able to witness such an event. She remembered seeing Druids in white robes celebrating the solstice. The atmosphere she described is one that I would like to experience myself.


I once thought Stonehenge was just a pile of rocks. I soon realized their historical significance and the mysteries that lie underneath it.

No comments:

Post a Comment