Monday, July 21, 2014

St. Paul's Cathedral





By Brittany Cardoza 
LONDON - I felt it was my duty to embrace the tour of St. Paul's Cathedral. My grandmother would want details upon my return to the states. As a cradle Catholic I do always feel at home at a church. However, there are so many lively activities around me. Touring a church paled in comparison. I gave it a go and showed up for the tour. Boy, was I glad I did. As we stepped inside I was blown away by the elaborate but tasteful architecture. It was open and inviting but clearly stated it's importance. Around me were amazing stained glass windows letting just the right amount of light in. I sat in a chair with my audio guide an began listening to the history of this incredible place of worship. St Paul’s is the Cathedral of the Diocese of London. The cathedral is situated at the top of Ludgate Hill, the highest point in London. The wedding of Princess Diana and Prince Charles, funeral of Margaret Thatcher and Winston Churchill and the Golden and Diamond Jubilee for Queen Elizabeth II were held at St. Paul's. The church holds three or four services every day and open daily to tourists. 

As I sat on the floor of the church I couldn't help but look up. The dome was expansive and sat tall above the nave and aisles. It was elaborately decorated with gold and colorful paintings. I knew I had to go up there. So we prepared for the journey up the 259 stairs to the Whispering Gallery. The balcony spanned around the dome and overlooked the naive. It is called the Whispering Gallery because even a whisper can be heard through any wall around the dome. We sat and took in the silence while allowing our legs to recover before the next workout. The next 200 stairs were nothing like I have experienced before. An old winding staircase so steep it made you dizzy sat in front of us. We had no choice but to tackle it if we wanted to reach the top of the dome. So we ventured onward and up. Our hearts raced as we carefully stepped one after the other holding on to the handle with white knuckles. As we approached the top and stepped out the door to the balcony my breath was taken away. The gust of wind combined with the overwhelming view were worth every bead of sweat. As we stood on top of the world I began to appreciate the hugely important history of this city. Everywhere you looked there was bustling activity and traffic. Below me was a city of millions all from different backgrounds and history. It was a moment I will never forget.  

No comments:

Post a Comment